A modern twist on a classic fall dessert, this apple crisp features a warm, sugary, spiced apple base layer and crispy, golden brown topping.
Apple Crisp [Vegan]
For the Apples:
- 8 large Cortland Apples - peeled and diced into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Crisp Topping:
- 1 cup whole raw almonds
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground chia
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk (I used oat milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix peeled/diced apples, 1/2 cup coconut sugar, water, lemon juice, cornstarch and 3/4 tsp cinnamon together.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse almonds and oats several times until no whole almonds or oats remain. Be cautious NOT to over process.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, add melted butter, 1 cup coconut sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined. The add the ground chia and non-dairy milk and whisk again until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the oat/almond mix and salt into the wet ingredients, using a spatula or sturdy wooden spoon, stir well. Once combined, slowly add the 1-to-1 flour and stir in. I often use my hands to full combine.
- Using your hands (certainly the easiest way to complete this step), crumble the topping mixture onto the apples. Although this step is very easy, it does take a bit of time to fully cover the dish.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until top is golden brown and apples are tender. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for about 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with non-dairy vanilla ice cream (trust me on this part... it's a game changer!)