Sweet juicy apple tossed in cinnamon, brown sugar, rolled up in soft tender bread. It’s like eating a cinnamon apple pie.
Apple Cinnamon Sticky Buns [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, or regular sugar
For the Glaze Topping:
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick vegan butter(1/2 cup)
- 1 cup pecans
For the Filling:
- 3 tablespoons room temperature vegan butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 medium apples, thinly sliced or shredded
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans, optional
- Pour almond milk into large measuring cup, add earth balance and heat in microwave for about 45 seconds or until everything is warn and melted. Mixture should be warn, not hot, if too hot it will kill the yeast.
- Sprinkle on yeast set aside and allow to proof at least 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, salt and sugar. Create a well in the middle of flour and pour in yeast mixture.
- Mix flour and milk together, when dough comes together, transfer to lightly floured surface and knead for 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkling on flour as needed to keep dough from sticking to surface or your fingers, you should have a soft springy ball.
- Place ball into a greased bowl, cover with towel or plastic wrap and allow to rise for one hour in warm place.
- While dough is rising mix together 3/4 cup of brown sugar and 1 stick of room temperature butter and spread on bottom of 9-inch by 13-inch pan, set aside.
- Peel apples and slice into thin strips or shred in food processor, mix together in medium bowl with 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, cover and set aside.
- When dough is ready roll it out on a lightly floured parchment paper into a large rectangle about 1/4-inch thick.
- Spread on 2 tablespoons butter, top with brown sugar and apples and pecans.
- Carefully roll from the longest end using parchment paper to help keep roll tight.
- With seam side down, carefully cut into 2-inch slices and place in pan. Melt remaining butter and brush on rolls.
- Cover and allow to rise again for about 1 hour, during last 15 minutes of rising, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly, invert, serve and enjoy!