The holiday season is a time for celebration. Regardless of religion or nationality, it’s a time many of us enjoy spending with family and friends: sharing gifts, sharing meals, and sharing our lives.
But it’s important to maintain moderation. Balance some of those indulgences with your regular, healthy habits. Stay active and make time for sleep. And why not even try introducing a few new, healthy meals, sides, and desserts at some of those holiday gatherings?
While some people may still prefer the “traditional” (artery-clogging) fare, many people are likely to appreciate seeing something green on the holiday table! Take one of the dishes below to a gathering, or use the whole menu for your own holiday meal.
Like any healthy meal, this menu strives for a balance of complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, and lean, plant-based protein. But the menu is ordered in a more traditional style, by course – appetizers; soups, salads and sides; entrees; and desserts. A couple of options are given under each category.
- Crostini Topped with Creamy Macadamia “Cheese” Spread, Fresh Curried Fig and Golden Grape Tomato Chutney
- You can’t go wrong with hummus! Try this Spicy Sweet Potato Hummus, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, or Fresh Pumpkin and Kale Hummus with pita triangles or fresh vegetables!
- Vegan Spinach Dip – always a favorite with crackers or raw veggies
For more delicious appetizer ideas, check out The Best Vegan Dips, Spreads and Salsas.
Soups, Salads and Sides
- Acorn Squash Apple Soup
- Chestnut Soup
- Curried Carrot Ginger and Orange Soup
- Kale and Golden Beet Salad
- Kale Waldorf Salad
- Yam and Walnut Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Sherry-Maple Vinaigrette
- Roasted Vegetables with Lemon-Cannelini Sauce
- The Unturkey Roast, Lentil Loaf and Holiday Nut Loaf are great alternatives to the typical roast.
- Stuffed winter squashes also make amazing entrees! Try this Roasted Acorn Squash Stuffed With Quinoa Mushroom Pilaf or Stuffed Acorn Squash with Wheat Berries, Pine Nuts & Sage
- Finally, for a unique twist on the holiday meal, this Seitan Wellington with a Creamy Spinach Sauce is delicious!
We’re going with pumpkin and apple pies, but if you’re not a fan, we’ve got TONS of other dessert recipes to choose from. Check out our collection of The BEST Vegan Chocolate Recipes for a more decadent treat.
And finally, if you’re interested in some delicious vegan drink recipes, check out Nogs, Toddys, and Other Holiday Drinks…Vegan Style! to put the finishing touches on that meal.
What are your favorite healthy holiday recipes? Submit ’em here!