Enchiladas are the perfect comforting food for winter when you really think about it. They’re warm and snuggled up in blankets, exactly how we want to be during the winter. How much more comforting and relatable can a meal be?
We put together a list of 10 of our most delicious vegan enchilada recipes from our Food Monster App. Enjoy!
1. Black Bean, Corn, and Red Rice Enchiladas
You’re going to love Kathleen Henry‘s Black Bean, Corn, and Red Rice Enchiladas. They’re cheesy, spicy, and made with a from-scratch enchilada sauce. They’re also made with affordable and filling veggies! Once you pop them in the oven, all you need to do is sit back and wait for the magic to happen.
2. Potato Kale Enchiladas
Source: Potato Kale Enchiladas
This wonderful recipe for Potato Kale Enchiladas by Adam Merrin and Ryan Alvarez is the best of both worlds: classic, hearty enchiladas with a roasted chile pepper sauce and an irresistible filling of tender baked potatoes and sautéed kale dressed with lime. Although this dish has a few extra steps, it is a great example of how flavorful and satisfying vegan cooking can be. When it emerges hot and bubbly from the oven with the aroma of fresh peppers and toasty potatoes, you will know it was time well spent.
3. Cheesy Roasted Corn and Sweet Potato Enchiladas
4. Tofu Veggie Enchiladas With Spicy Chili Sauce and Avocado Crema
In Maya Sozer‘s recipe, tofu and vegetable-stuffed enchiladas are coated with a spicy chili sauce and a creamy avocado-cilantro crema. They’re then baked in the oven, allowing the edges of the tortillas to crisp up as the sauce soaks in. Garnish with lime juice and fresh cilantro and we guarantee that you’ve got a real crowd-pleased.
5. Black Bean and Corn Enchiladas
Source: Black Bean and Corn Enchiladas
6. Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchiladas
Kaylee Pauley‘s Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchiladas completely hit the spot! The natural sweetness of the roasted butternut squash perfectly balances the savoriness of the beans, onions, and garlic. Then the flavors really come alive as the veggies meld with the Mexican spices and vegan cheddar. Let’s be honest, more than one spoonful disappears before ever making it to the tortillas.
7. Pumpkin Chickpea Enchiladas
Source: Pumpkin Chickpea Enchiladas
This Mexican-inspired dish by Claudia Hollings is all about corn tortillas stuffed with pumpkin and chickpeas (plus a roasted shallot), covered with a tomato and chipotle chili sauce, and baked until everything’s hot and the tortilla ends are nice and crispy.
8. Refried Bean Enchiladas
Source: Refried Bean Enchiladas
Just because you’re on a budget doesn’t mean that you have to skimp on flavor. Melanie Sorrentino‘s simple Refried Bean Enchiladas are packed with refried beans (which you can make oil-free), tangy black olives, and green salsa, then covered with spicy sauce and baked until warm and bubbly. They’re served with a simple side of rice seasoned with cilantro and summer squash.
9. Breakfast Enchiladas With Poblano Cream
Gabrielle St. Claire‘s Breakfast Enchiladas With Poblano Cream may be for breakfast, but you’ll want them for lunch and dinner, too. Each flour tortilla is stuffed with a cheesy tofu and vegan sausage scramble, Shiitake bacon, and a spicy poblano cream sauce. Plus, it’s topped with vegetables, more sauce, and avocado! Best part is, you can put the leftover poblano sauce to good use for lunches, dinners, or even another Mexican-inspired breakfast.
10. Chorizo Spiced Potato Enchiladas
Source: Chorizo Spiced Potato Enchiladas
Zsu Dever‘s Chorizo Spiced Potato Enchiladas are really tasty! Potatoes are tossed in a blend of hot spices and wrapped up in a warm tortilla with black beans and fresh herbs. They’re also topped with a spicy sauce and a creamy vegan cheese sauce. The red sauce is simple and easy, the potatoes are mix-and-bake and the beans and greens are minimally processed as the flavor is all provided by the chorizo spices. Simple to make, although not completely fuss-free, this is well worth the minimal effort.
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Unfortunately, dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer, and has many side effects.
For those interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend purchasing one of our many plant-based cookbooks or downloading the Food Monster App which has thousands of delicious recipes making it the largest vegan recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.