Cooking with arrowroot is easy, and the result is a fantastic, viscous sauce. Just be aware that once on the hot skillet arrowroot will dense the food immediately: don´t let it unattended!
Stir-fried Tofu With Veggies and Shiitake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Stir-fried Tofu With Veggies and Shiitake [Vegan]
- 1-2 tbsp oil for frying
- 1 onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms
- 4-5 mini bok-choys
- 300 g firm tofu
- Salt to taste
- Sesame seeds to serve
- 2 tbsp concentrated apple juice
- 2 tbsp shoyu or tamari
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 250 ml water
- 1 tbsp arrowroot + 2tbs cold water
How to Prepare Stir-fried Tofu With Veggies and Shiitake [Vegan]
- Wash the carrots, bock choy and zucchini, gently rub the shiitake with wet paper towel. Cut the carrot and zucchini into matchsticks, tofu in approximately 2 cm cubes and shiitake in half, set aside.
- Chop the garlic and onion. Heat a large non-stick skillet or wok, and, when it is hot, add the garlic and the onion and stir for about 1 minute. Add the carrots, zucchini and shiitake, stir for 2-3 minutes and add the tofu. Cover with a lid, lower the heat and let cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Cut off the edges of bock choy, chop them coarsely and add to the stir-fry. Add a very little bit of salt (you will be adding soy sauce later), stir well, put the lid on again and cook for about 2-3 more minutes.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients but arrowroot in a bowl. Stir in the arrowroot in cold water. When dissolved completely, add it to the sauce mix, stir well and pour over the stir-fry. Mix well and cook very shortly, until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency (caution: it will happen quickly).
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the stir-fry and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.