Shock rocker and longtime vegan Rob Zombie spoke to GQ about the decision behind him taking up a vegan diet. He told the outlet that meat would “just taste awful.” Zombie went vegan nine years ago and hasn’t looked back.
Asked what led him to cut out meat, Zombie shared, “I never really liked eating meat. Whenever I was served pork chops or something it would just taste awful to me. We’re all brainwashed from the moment we’re born that all the cows are happy and the pigs are happy and everybody’s so happy and it’s all “Old McDonald Had a Farm.” And then I saw a movie that was the first time I really saw how brutal and disgusting factory farming was. That’s when I was, like, “I’m done.”
Source: Vegan Mayhem/YouTube
He went vegan cold turkey nine years ago, after eating eggs for breakfast. The singer says he’s impressed with how far vegan options have come, “Every day it gets easier, and every day the food gets better. Veggie burgers used to be like tasteless hockey pucks, and now they’re so delicious.”
As for meals, Zombie relies on oatmeal, fruit, or toast for breakfast. For lunch, he points to frozen burritos, pad thai, and salads. He opines on vegetables, especially the ones from his garden, “Salad used to be awful iceberg lettuce and a tasteful tomato. That’s why so many people don’t care about vegetables, we grew up eating vegetables that had no taste. When you get good vegetables that are prepared right, they’re super delicious. We have a pretty big garden, and when you get stuff directly from your garden, you’re, like, woah. I didn’t realize the taste could vary that much.”
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
- Heartbreaking Photo of Massive Dairy Farm Illustrates the Fallacy of ‘Happy Cows’
- Investigation Launched After Violent Footage of Dairy Farm Surfaces
- Want to Know Why Dairy Calves Aren’t Happy Cows? Just Look At This Picture
- Footage Reveals Cows Being Punched, Kicked, and Sexually Abused at Essex Dairy Farm
- Think Dairy Cows Are Happy Cows? This Photo Will Change Your Mind
- Undercover Footage Shows Dairy Farm Workers Brutally Beating Cows with Sticks
- Dairy Farmer Tearfully Admits Mother Cows Cry for Days After Being Separated From Their Babies
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!