Have you ever walked through the produce aisle at a supermarket and seen a big green fruit with large spikes all over it, and wondered what it was? Well, that would be a Jackfruit. It may look a little scary at first, but you don’t need to be intimidated by how it looks. This hype-worthy fruit has become extremely popular in the vegan food community, and in restaurants, for good reason. Jackfruit has the perfect texture for creating mock meat. In particular, pulled pork. When combined with a few spices, and barbeque sauce, it’ll be hard to tell this plant-based version apart from the real thing.
Where Does Jackfruit Come From?
Jackfruit comes from a jackfruit evergreen tree and grows in tropical Southeast Asia and “subtropical parts of the world such as India, Malaysia, Central and Eastern Africa, the Caribbean, Florida, Brazil, Australia, Puerto Rico and many Pacific Islands.” It’s closely related to fig and mulberry plants, and is also the national fruit of Bangladesh. When you open up a jackfruit’s hard shell, you’ll discover 3 different parts to it. The center core, the outer skin, and the fruit, which is the good part that gets all the hype. Although this fruit is sweet and tastes delicious on its own, it can actually be prepared to resemble pulled pork. With a couple of easy steps of preparation and the right ingredients, you will be on your way to creating a lighter, healthier, fiber-filled vegan version of this classic barbeque sandwich.
Making a barbeque-pulled pork sandwich out of jackfruit may seem daunting at first, but it’s actually surprisingly easy. Let’s get started!
With only a few simple plant-based ingredients, you’ll be on your way to a mouth-watering barbeque meal! Let’s take a look at what you’ll need to get started:
- Jackfruit (fresh or canned)
- Barbeque sauce
- Sandwich bread or bun
- Cabbage or coleslaw for topping
- Any additional toppings that you’d like
The Simple Preparation
1. To start off, you’re going to rinse off the jackfruit with water thoroughly, and drain.
2. Next, add your barbeque sauce and spices to a bowl and combine with the jackfruit. Toss well to ensure it is coated evenly.
3. Add everything into a pan and saute. Let simmer.
4. Once cooked, add the ‘pulled pork’ into the burger buns or sandwich bread. Add the cole slaw, or toppings of your choice, and enjoy!
Jackfruit Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Source: Vegan Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Barbecue pulled jackfruit sandwiches are what vegan dreams are made of. You really can’t go wrong with the plant-meaty, spicy, smoky, and sweet fusion of flavors. This recipe will be an absolute hit at a summer barbeque or cookout. Your non-vegan friends and family will be shocked at just how realistic these taste, smell, and look!
- Barbecue Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich With Avocado Slaw
- BBQ Jackfruit
- 15 Delicious Jackfruit Recipes That Prove You Don’t Need Meat!
- 15 Saucy Recipes That Will Light Up Your BBQ Grill
- 15 BBQ and Buffalo Tofu Recipes to Throw on the Grill This Memorial Day Weekend!
- Mushroom Pulled “Pork” [Vegan]
- BBQ Pulled Jackfruit With Oven-Baked Potatoes [Vegan]
- Fooled Pork Sandwich With Fries [Vegan]
- BBQ Pulled Carrot Rolls [Vegan]
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home!
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some great resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!