If you’re looking to break into the world of jackfruit, you have to try this effortless recipe for smoky mango jackfruit BBQ sandwiches! They're bursting with lightly sweet, slightly spicy flavor and perfectly paired with fresh, crunchy jalapeño slaw. While the jackfruit cooks, the sauce caramelizes slightly, turning a deep brown color, and adding a touch of more sweetness to the dish.
Smoky BBQ Mango Jackfruit Sliders [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Smoky BBQ Mango Jackfruit Sliders [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion or any other onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 chipotle chilis in adobo, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup fresh cut mango
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the Sandwiches:
- 1 20-ounce can green jackfruit in brine
- 2 gluten-free vegan buns
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage
- 1/2 cub white cabbage
- 1 jalapeño
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Smoky BBQ Mango Jackfruit Sliders [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients an whisk together. Once bubbling, stir in the water, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes (the longer the better), stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and cool before transferring to a glass jar. Store in the refrigerator.
- Drain the jackfruit and add to a saucepan with 3 cups of water, bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain, shred with a fork and throw in a pan with bbq sauce for 5-7 minutes on medium to high heat. The jackfruit should take on a slightly darker color.
- To make the slaw, throw the cabbages in a bowl with lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- To assemble the sandwiches top with the jackfruit, jalapeño slaw, and a bun.
This sauce recipe will produce roughly 1 1/2-2 cups of sauce leaving you with some leftovers.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.