When warmer weather rolls around, the best desserts are light and refreshing. These recipes are all on the lighter side and Mexican-inspired, and can easily be enjoyed in the sunshine! Go ahead and whip up one of these light vegan Mexican desserts if you’re in the mood for something sweet and delicious! Don’t forget to check out our Food Monster App for these recipes and many others!
1. Mexican-Spiced Chocolate Avocado Pudding
Avocado in a dessert? Seems odd at first, we know. However, it makes sense that such a creamy vegetable would work well in a decadent pudding recipe. This Mexican-Spiced Chocolate Avocado Pudding by Emily Brees is so rich, creamy, and so chocolatey, you’ll forget about the avocado part– quickly. The chile powder, cinnamon, and salt add just the right amount of contrast.
2. Flan de Elote: Mexican White Corn Flan
This Flan de Elote: Mexican White Corn Flan by Azucena Noriega is drenched in homemade caramel and will quickly make its way onto your list of favorite desserts. The custard is elegant and light with a hint of cornbread and the caramel is sweet and rich. This is the perfect dessert to serve at a celebration.
Get the Summer Cookbook!
3. Mexican Chocolate Doughnuts
Source: Mexican Chocolate Doughnuts
These Mexican Chocolate Doughnuts by Azucena Noriega are fluffy, slightly moist, and have an incredible Mexican chocolate flavor. Mexican chocolate is known for its distinct spicy cinnamon and ginger flavors. Their texture is more like a muffin than the typical fried doughnut, so they’re the perfect excuse to have chocolate for breakfast.
4. Churros With Lime Sugar and Caramel Sauce
This Churros With Lime Sugar and Caramel Sauce by Trine Rask is a magical treat. Crispy, fluffy, and oh-so-perfectly delicious churros with that traditional cinnamon sugar and chocolate sauce. Right? But, today we’re skipping the tradition and serving the churros with lime sugar and caramel sauce. Oooooh, yes.
5. Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles
These Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles by Emily von Euw are amazing! Here’s a take on classic snickerdoodles that will leave your tastebuds in amazement. Try this vegan cookie combination of chocolate with cinnamon.
6. Mini Margarita Cheesecakes
Source: Mini Margarita Cheesecakes
Full disclaimer — these Mini Margarita Cheesecakes by Sophia DeSantis are family-friendly. Think of them as more “margarita inspired” than full of margaritas. They’re also vegan, gluten-free, raw, and completely delicious. They’ll be the hit of your next party, if they last long enough for the guests to arrive!
7. Mexican Horchata: Rice and Almond Drink
8. Tres Leches Flan
Source: Tres Leches Flan
Tres leches flan is a Mexican sweet that is traditionally made using milk, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and eggs. In this simple recipe for Tres Leches Flan by Alejandra Olmedo, three kinds of non-dairy milk are used and cornstarch takes the place of eggs. Served with syrup and fresh fruit, this treat has a rich, custard-like texture that just melts in your mouth!
9. Coconut Flan With Caramel Sauce
Source: Coconut Flan With Caramel Sauce
This creamy, dreamy flan, served with a drizzle of sweet caramel sauce, is the perfect dessert for the holidays! Traditional flan is made from eggs and gelatin but in this recipe, it is made from coconut milk, tofu, and agar agar powder. Making this Coconut Flan With Caramel Sauce by Travis Piper might seem like a science, but it’s a simple process that can be mastered by anyone.
10. Tres Leches Cake
Source: Tres Leches Cake
For more amazing Mexican desserts, check out these Dairy-Free Mexican Desserts!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in typical household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.