Horchata is one of Mexico’s most common agua frescas and this easy-to-make recipe is perfect if you’re new to this rice-flavored drink.
Mexican Horchata: Rice and Almond Drink [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Mexican Horchata: Rice and Almond Drink [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup white rice
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1 teaspoon ground)
- 8 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
How to Prepare Mexican Horchata: Rice and Almond Drink [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Add 1 cup white rice to a blender or food processor and grind it as fine as you can.
- Add 3/4 cup raw almonds, 1 cinnamon stick, 1/4 cup sugar and only 4 cups of warm water. Blend together.
- Let this mixture sit overnight in the fridge.
- The next day, give it another blend and then add 4 cups of cold water and another 1/2 cup sugar. Combine well and taste for sweetness, adding more sugar if needed.
- Strain the mixture and discard the leftover solids. Using a fine mesh sieve works but you can also add a few layers of cheesecloth to it if you want.
- Serve immediately over ice and optionally add a final dash of cinnamon.
Sometimes I keep the concentrated version on hand (with only 4 cups of water) and use it to make smoothies. My latest smoothie: add a few servings of Horchata to a blender along with coconut milk (approx. 1/3 cup), ice, and vanilla protein powder. You could also use the concentrated version to make milkshakes. I typically use raw almonds but I've used roasted, salted almonds before and still got a good result.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 251 | Carbs: 35 g | Fat: 6 g | Protein: 3 g | Sodium: 6 mg | Sugar: 26 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.