I don’t know where you’re from in the world, but chances are you’ve had the pleasure of going to a fair, a theme park or a festival and shoved your face with churros. This magical treat will forever remind me of just that. Crispy, fluffy and oh so perfectly delicious churros with that traditional cinnamon sugar and chocolate sauce. Right? As I said; magical. But, today we’re skipping the tradition and serving the churros with a lime sugar and caramel sauce. Oooooh, yes.
Churros With Lime Sugar and Caramel Sauce [Vegan]
- 9 ounces of spelt or white flour
- 2 tablespoons of rapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon of cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 3/4 cup of boiling water
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 pot of oil for frying
- 5 tablespoons of cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- The zest of 1 lime
- 1 ounce coconut milk
- 7 ounces of cane sugar
- 3.5 ounces of non-dairy butter
- 1 pinch of vanilla bean & sea salt
- Preheat your oil.
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, oil & sea salt to a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Boil the water in a kettle or a pot on the stove, add to the flour mixture and stir. Really combine it well.
- Add the dough to a pastry bag with a star tip.
- Fry the churros by squeezing the dough through the pastry bag until the desired length it achieved and then cut with scissors over the oil. Dump in slowly and fry 3-5 at a time for about 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Zest the lime and add to a pestle & mortar or a coffee grinder with the sugar and cinnamon. Combine until fine and roll the churros in the sugar mixture whilst still hot. Serve warm with the caramel sauce.
- The beauty of this caramel sauce is that you just dump everything into a saucepan on a medium heat and cook it whilst stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes. And if you want your sauce extra thick, you can add 1 teaspoon of sifted cornstarch at the end. Store in a clean container in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.