Tres leches flan is a Mexican sweet that is traditionally made using milk, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and eggs. In this simple recipe, three kinds of non-dairy milk are used and cornstarch takes the place of eggs. Served with syrup and fresh fruit, this treat has a rich, custard-like texture that just melts in your mouth!
Tres Leches Flan [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons soy milk
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons rice milk
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/4 cup syrup of choice
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 scraped vanilla bean or 1 tablespoon vailla essence
- Fresh fruit, to decorate
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a small bowl, add cornstarch. Add just enough water so that it becomes a paste (1 tablespoon at a time). In a pot, combine all three milks with sugar and vanilla. Add cornstarch and boil or 3 minutes over low heat.
- Spread a layer of syrup on a small baking sheet or square baking container. Pour the mixture onto the tray and refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, unmould the flan and serve with fresh fruit and extra syrup.