Veggie meal bowls are hot. No longer are bowls reserved for soup or pasta. A veggie meal bowl has your whole meal – entrée and sides – all in one. Meal bowls are easy to make and extremely versatile. While there is a basic formula for what kinds of foods to include in a meal bowl, the combinations are endless. Start with a grain, add some greens, pile on the veggies, pack on the protein, and top with a sauce or dressing and garnishes. If you do some prep work and cook some of the ingredients like the rice in advance, you can throw a bowl together in minutes which is especially smart in the summer. For tips and tricks, check out How to Make Different Veggie Bowls for Every Type of Flavor Craving.
Reminiscent of salad bars and food bars where you make your personalized dish, meal bowls can be personalized to your specific likes. They can be big or small, healthy or indulgent, raw or cooked, carefully composed, or freely tossed together. There are breakfast bowls, lunch bowls, and dinner bowls. No matter how you make it, you get a delicious, nutritious meal. Here are 10 recipes that prove the best summer meals come in bowls.
1. Veggie Quinoa Bowl
Quinoa is the base for this Veggie Quinoa Bowl that will leave you happily satisfied. Tofu, spinach, beets, carrots, tomatoes, and avocados fill out the bowl topped with nuts, seeds, and a creamy tahini-based dressing.
2. Roasted Buddha Bowl
Before meal bowls became trendy, there were Buddha bowls filled with grains, veggies, and a sauce. This Roasted Buddha Bowl has roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and radishes on a bed of quinoa. It’s topped with a creamy lemon white bean sauce for a healthy, enlightened meal anyone would be grateful for.
Get the Summer Cookbook!
3. Persephone Bowl
Start with bulgur and add lentils, roasted cauliflower, cabbage, and green beans. Add some seeds, an orange, and a pomegranate and you have this Persephone Bowl, a colorful, vibrant dish of mythical proportions.
4. Farro Black Beans Mexican Bowl
This Farro Black Beans Mexican Bowl is a beautiful combination of raw and cooked ingredients. Healthy farro is topped with sauteed veggies and black beans with Mexican spices and aromatics. Served on fresh lettuce and avocado, this bowl is a fiesta in your mouth.
5. Tempeh Bacon Bowl
Try a new grain like freekeh and build your bowl around it. In this Tempeh Bacon Bowl, butternut squash and chickpeas are roasted with chili and thyme and served with spring greens, seaweed, and tomatoes. Top it with sweet and smoky tempeh bacon and a creamy sweet and spicy dressing and you have a satisfying and delicious meal packed with flavor.
6. Nourishing Power Bowl With Lemon Tahini Dressing
There are salads and then there are power bowls. This Nourishing Power Bowl layers leafy greens, carrots, avocado, and tomatoes and then adds roasted veggies and chickpeas for a protein-rich meal. The lemon tahini dressing is just a delicious bonus.
7. Teriyaki Romanesco and Beet Bowl
A veggie bowl doesn’t have to have a million ingredients to be a complete meal. In this Teriyaki Romanesco and Beet Bowl, there are only 3 main ingredients – rice, Romanesco, and beets – but the bowl is overflowing with flavor.
8. Big Ol’ Texas Bowl With Nut-Free Nacho Cheese
No rule says veggie bowls have to have greens and chickpeas. In this Big Ol’ Texas Bowl, a bed of kale is topped with roasted sweet potatoes, BBQ tempeh, avocado, red peppers, and creamy nacho cheese made with sunflower seeds. Yum!
9. The Glow Bowl: Baked Sweet Potato With Pesto Pasta, Tomatoes and Pumpkin Seeds
Whole grain pasta provides a bed for all the goodness that is in this Glow Bowl. Roasted sweet potatoes, greens, tomatoes, and pumpkin seeds are dressed with a creamy kale pesto for a meal that is not only delicious but will have you glowing with healthy nutrition.
10. Puy Lentil and Red Pepper Hummus Bowl
This Puy Lentil and Red Pepper Hummus Bowl is so big and filling, you may need someone to share it with. With sweet potato wedges, lentils, hummus, and veggies all on a bed of spinach and quinoa, this hearty bowl will keep you fueled all day long.
Each of these bowls is unique, hearty, and delicious in its own way. A bowl is just a blank canvas waiting to become a masterpiece. How will you paint your summer veggie bowl?
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.