If you're looking for a colorful, nutritious bowl filled with vitamins, minerals and stick-to-your ribs protein, then look no further. Puy lentils and red pepper hummus sit alongside hearty quinoa and baked potato wedges. You'll want to build this bowl every single day!
Puy Lentil and Red Pepper Hummus Bowl [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked and rinsed (+ 2 cups water for cooking)
- 1 cup Puy kentils, uncooked and rinsed (+2.5 cups water/broth for cooking)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 large sweet potato, cut into wedges
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- pinch of sea salt
- pepper to taste
- 3 cups snap peas (Note: snow peas work as well!)
- 2 cups baby spinach, packed
- 1 medium red onion, sliced finely
- 2 medium carrots, spiralized/grated
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup roasted red pepper hummus
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a small sauce pot, combine rinsed quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer, cover, and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed. When cooked, fluff quinoa with a fork and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pot, combine lentils, water/broth, and bay leaf. Cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until tender. Drain liquid, discard bay leaf, and set aside.
- On a baking sheet, toss wedges in olive oil, ground coriander, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Bake for about 20 minutes, or fork tender, flipping wedges at the half-way point (10 minutes).
- In a medium sauce pot, steam the snap peas for about 3-5 minutes. When the snap peas are almost ready, toss in the spinach and steam for the remaining minute or so, or until spinach has wilted.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice and garlic together.
- In a small pan, toast cumin seeds and sesame seeds until golden brown, tossing them frequently. Keep an eye on the seeds while toasting; they tend to brown quite quickly.
- Finally, build your bowl! Divide into four bowls: spiralized carrot, 1/4 cup cooked quinoa, 1/4 cup lentils, steamed snap peas and spinach, a few potato wedges, and red onion. Top with a large dollop of red pepper hummus, drizzle some of the lemon mixture, and sprinkle toasted seeds on top. Garnish with fresh cilantro.