You might be thinking…what exactly is a Southern-inspired recipe, anyway? It turns out the answer to that question is more complex than one might think!
The South is perhaps best known for a few distinctive items like fried chicken, grits, BBQ, cornbread, hush puppies, boiled peanuts, and fried green tomatoes. But in general, Southern fare is characterized by a lot of fried foods in general, fried meats in particular, and the use of animal fats for flavoring. Not sounding too healthy or vegan-friendly, right?
Worry not! Many of the recipes below feature traditionally Southern elements or ingredients, but have been veganized (many are even raw) and concurrently made healthier through the use of wholesome plant-based ingredients.
So check out these twelve delicious, Southern-inspired recipes – vegan style!
Vidalia Onion Mini Cornbread Muffins
Recipe by Nikki Haney: Blogger, The Tolerant Vegan
(makes 24 mini muffins)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter substitute
- 1/2 of a large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease or line a mini muffin tin.
- Melt the vegan butter substitute in a medium skillet over low-medium heat.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until the onion is tender, approximately 3 minutes.
- While the onion cooks, whisk together the cornmeal, all-purpose flour,baking powder, sea salt and dill in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the grape seed oil, soy milk, sour cream and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, along with the cooked onion and 1/4 cup of cheddar.
- Pour the batter into the muffin cups.
- Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- Smokey Pumpkin Grits with Maple-Roasted Pepitas
- Southern Savory Tarts with Butter Bean Puree, Fresh Figs, and Sweet Tea Drizzle
- Fresh Green Tomato, Charred Corn and Basil Salsa
- Healthy Krispy Kremes for One
- Pineapple Jack BBQ Sandwiches
- Crispy Seitan
- Black-eyed Pea and Spinach Cakes (with Sun-Dried Tomato Tartar Sauce)
- Cajun Corn and Kidney Bean Salad
- Pimento Cheese Spread
- Peanut Butter Popcorn Fudge
- Grandma’s Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
If you think we missed some important Southern fare, let us know in the comments section below, or send in your favorite recipe!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.