Visiting farmer's markets is one of my very favorite things about summer. It's the best way to buy the juiciest peaches, robust red tomatoes, perfect pickling cucumbers, peppers of every persuasion, and of course, corn on the cob, to name just a few favorites. This incredible fresh produce is only part of the package. Even better, you get to chat with those who grow your food, keep your money in your town, reduce travel costs for your food (and therefore environmental impact) and experience your community in a uniquely satisfying way. This year, I've been busy making peach butter, pickles of all kinds, salsa, and jams. I keep thinking I'm going to make corn relish, but somehow the leftover corn finds it's way into something else, such as this Cajun Corn Salad. Fresh and flavorful, adapt the spice level to suit yourself. A fresh or roasted poblano pepper ups the heat, or try a minced jalapeno. You may notice that there is no added oil to this salad, keeping it even lighter. This spiced-to-your-perfection salad is an ideal addition to any cookout or barbecue. It's a great make-ahead dish, and travels well, too!
Cajun Corn and Kidney Bean Salad [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Cajun Corn and Kidney Bean Salad [Vegan]
- Kernels from 4 ears cooked corn on the cob
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper or other pepper
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup diced moist-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth, more if needed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15-ounce can) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
How to Prepare Cajun Corn and Kidney Bean Salad [Vegan]
- Combine all ingredients except the beans in a large bowl.
- Stir together well, and taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Gently stir in the beans.
- If the mixture is too dry, add additional broth to dress it.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.