There are lots of foods that are super simple to make at home and could result in not only saving you are few pennies but also helping to keep quite a bit of packaging out of the recycling and landfills.
In addition, making your food at home and from scratch means that you have ultimate control over the ingredients you use. This can help ensure that you are only consuming what you choose and can also tailor foods to suit your taste preferences.
Check out the OGP recipes that will guide you in making a few simple foods at home instead of buying them week after week at the supermarket.
We also highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 20,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help you get healthy!
1. Classic Lemon Garlic Hummus
Source: Classic Lemon Garlic Hummus
To make this Classic Lemon Garlic Hummus by Caroline Doucet, all you need is 10 minutes and 6 basic ingredients to make the creamiest hummus at home for a fraction of the price. Use it as a dip or add it to sandwiches and salads for a boost of protein and fiber!
2. Homemade Smoky Tomato Ketchup
Source: Homemade Smoky Tomato Ketchup
This Homemade Smoky Tomato Ketchup by Charlotta Holmström Ortiz has a smoky flavor that makes it the perfect accompaniment to veggie burgers and fries of all kinds. But, if smoky flavors aren’t your thing, the recipe is easily customized to your liking. After making this ketchup, you’ll probably never want to buy another bottle again!
3. Make Creamy, Nutritious Plant-Based Milk at Home
Source: Sesame Seed Milk
Check out this article by Cait Corcoran about how to Make Creamy, Nutritious Plant-Based Milk at Home. Finding the right plant-based milk has never been easier, with more and more options popping up in local supermarkets, but sometimes nothing beats making your dairy-free milk at home. Creating your own plant-based milk ensures that the ingredients will be pure and free from preservatives, and it allows you to get creative with your flavor combinations.
4. Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
This Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream by Caroline Doucet is a rich and creamy vegan ice cream that’s made with coconut milk, cocoa powder, dates, salted peanut butter, and vanilla. There are only 5 ingredients and minimal work is involved. This ice cream is very rich, so a little goes a long way!
5. Oil-Free Mayonnaise With a Secret Ingredient
This Oil-Free Mayonnaise With a Secret Ingredient by Larice Feuerstein is creamy and rich, with a tangy zip, and no oil. Where does all that low-fat creaminess come from? Cauliflower and cashews give it an incredibly silky texture. Try this delicious plant-based mayo on sandwiches, potato salad, and more!
6. How to Make Your Own Apple Cider Vinegar
Source: 5 Second Studio/Shutterstock
Take a look at this article by Jonathon Engels that explains How to Make Your Own Apple Cider Vinegar. Apple cider vinegar, cooly referred to as ACV, is beyond wonderful. Not only is it a flavorful addition to recipes, the likes of beans, salads, and sauces, but it has medicinal qualities so respected that some folks simply ingest it by the spoonful to make sure not to miss a daily dose. And, that’s not even getting into the household uses and hacks that ACV can make a reality. It’s good stuff. It’s powerful stuff. It’s something we should all have in the cabinet.
7. Homemade Hot Sauce
Source: Homemade Hot Sauce
8. The Ultimate Guacamole
Source: The Ultimate Guacamole
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in typical household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.