Salted chocolate peanut butter ice cream. A rich and creamy vegan ice cream that’s made with coconut milk, cocoa powder, dates, salted peanut butter, and vanilla. Only 5 ingredients and minimal work involved. This ice cream is very rich, so a little goes a long way!
Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 1 can (14 ounces) high-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, salted (see notes)
- 5-6 large Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Place the bowl of the ice cream maker in the freezer and let it freeze overnight or for at least 8 hours.
When the ice cream bowl is frozen, you can make the ice cream: In a high-speed blender, blend all the ice cream ingredients until creamy. It's okay if you have small pieces of dates left.
Place the frozen bowl inside the ice cream maker and turn it on according to the manufacturer's instructions. Pour the ice cream mixture into the ice cream maker and let it churn for 20-25 minutes or until the ice cream has reached a soft-serve consistency.
Eat as a soft serve immediately or transfer to a sealable container and let harden in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours before serving.
- The ice cream will get harder as it sits in the freezer. If you have difficulty scooping it, let it stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before scooping. Rinsing the ice cream scoop under hot water can also help. - For a peanut-free version, replace the peanut butter with almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, or other favorite nut or seed butter. - If using unsalted peanut butter, add a pinch of salt. - This makes a small batch of ice cream, but a little goes a long way. If you’re serving more than 2-4 people, doubling the recipe is recommended. This is because the churning time increases to closer to 1h when doubling the recipe.