This ketchup has a smoky flavor that makes it the perfect accompaniment to veggie burgers and fries of all kinds. But, if smoky flavors aren't your thing, the recipe is easily customized to your liking. After making this ketchup, you'll probably never want to buy another bottle again!
Homemade Smoky Tomato Ketchup [Vegan]
- 1 2/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Heaping 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a sauce pan and slowly heat while stirring, until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Fill some thoroughly washed bottles or jars with ketchup and seal.
- Stored in the fridge it will keep for about one month. If you wish to keep it longer than that you may process the bottles in a water bath for 10 minutes. Use a large saucepan and place a kitchen towel at the bottom. Fill with water and add the bottles when the water is boiling. Make sure they are covered with water by one-two inches. Leave the bottles in the boiling water for ten-fifteen minutes depending on size. If processed properly, they will keep for at least one year.