This gorgeous pink cake is perfect for birthdays and parties! It's made from sweet, zingy lemon cake that's filled with strawberry jam and then covered in a rich strawberry buttercream frosting. Best of all, this beautiful gluten-free cake is decadent without being heavy.
Lemon Cake With Strawberry Jam Frosting [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cake:
- 1 cup of lemon juice
- Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 1/4 cup, plus 3 tablespoons of plain dairy-free yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup gluten-free self-raising flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup caster sugar or sugar of your choice
For the Strawberry Jam Frosting:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegan butter
- 1 cup strawberries
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup low-sugar strawberry jam
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry flavoring (optional)
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 355°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and zest.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and sugar.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix until smooth.
- Line an 8-inch cake tin with grease-proof paper, then pour the cake batter into the tin. Make sure to tap the tin on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- You can tell if the cake is cooked by sticking in a skewer or skewer. If it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- If it comes out with some mixture, it needs a little more time.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place onto a cooling rack.
- Let the cake fully cool before filling and frosting.
To Make the Frosting:
- Wash and chop the fresh strawberries and place into a small, non-stick saucepan over low heat along with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Cook until mixture reduces to around a 1/4 of its original amount.
- Keep stirring with a wooden spoon to prevent the mixture sticking to the pan!.
- Using a hand mixer, blend the batter until smooth, slowly add in the powdered sugar.
- Once fluffy, add in the strawberry compote, strawberry jam, and strawberry flavoring.
- Whizz up until fluffy and creamy.
- Pop into the freezer for 10 minutes to stiffen. This makes the frosting easier to work with and pipe.
- If making a two-tiered cake, spread an even layer of strawberry jam between the cakes. If not, cut the cake and then spread strawberry jam between the layers.
- Using a spatula, spread the frosting all over the cake.
- Decorate with fresh fruit/freeze-dried strawberries and a squeeze of lemon. Cut and serve.
To make a two-tiered cake, double the cake ingredients.