Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Within minutes of reaching the vet, Hilda, to everyone’s surprise, stood up and began to nourish herself. Her spirit and will to survive were awe-inspiring. From that day on, Hilda’s life underwent a drastic transformation. She became the first rescue of Farm Sanctuary, spending 11 blissful years roaming the lush, green pastures of the New York sanctuary.
Hilda wasn’t just another rescue; she became a symbol of hope and resilience. She inspired countless individuals, painting an empathetic picture of farm animals as beings capable of experiencing pain and sorrow, much like our household pets. Murals were painted in her honor, and her story served as a catalyst for legislative changes at the federal and state levels, aiming to protect “downed” animals like her.
Hilda’s peaceful passing was a solemn occasion, and she now rests in a garden grove on the sanctuary farm. Yet, her legacy lives on, continuing to inspire and motivate a global audience to strive for better conditions for farm animals. Everything done at Farm Sanctuary is a tribute to resilient spirits like Hilda.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Amazing Rescue of Sheep Found with 77 Pounds of Overgrown Matted Fleece! [Video]
- Seven Sheep Escape Slaughterhouse and Get a New Start at a Sanctuary
- Tourist Port City in Spain Secretly Exports Millions of Sheep and Cattle to Middle East
- Beautiful Unlikely Friendship Between Felicity the Sheep and Yoda the Llama [Video]
- Meet Biscuit: the Blind Sheep Who Was Rescued From Slaughter by a Teen [Video]
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!