Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Zoey, a 10-year-old dog who faced the heartbreak of adoption and return, has a new family full of love. Zoey’s journey, marked by resilience, love, and a newfound purpose, showcases the untapped potential that senior pets possess in bringing comfort and healing to their forever families.
Zoey’s path to her new lease on life began with her adoption, a ray of hope that promised years of companionship and joy. Carmen Hidalgo Kirschner, a Best Friends Animal Society lifesaving outcomes specialist in Los Angeles, held an unwavering belief in Zoey’s ability to find her perfect match. Kirschner highlighted the immense love that senior animals have to offer and the deep fulfillment that comes from adopting them. Seniors, often overlooked due to their age, tend to seamlessly integrate into households.
However, fate had a different plan for Zoey. Unforeseen circumstances led her back to the shelter she once left, at the age of 10. The challenges faced by senior dogs in the adoption process came to the forefront, as they often spend considerably longer periods in shelters than their younger counterparts.
Zoey’s journey took a complex turn due to her health issues, including cataracts, glaucoma, and an enlarged liver. Best Friends Animal Society, recognizing the stress that a shelter environment could cause, arranged for Zoey to stay in a foster home. This decision not only provided a nurturing space for her but also allowed potential forever families to understand her unique needs and personality.
This is where Cristina Nieto and her family came into the picture. Their desire to adopt an adult dog, coupled with Zoey’s endearing features, marked the beginning of a transformative bond. The pup’s presence in their lives quickly became a source of comfort, with her gentle demeanor and affectionate nature.
Zoey’s arrival brought not only companionship but also unexpected therapeutic benefits to the Nieto household. The calming influence that Zoey had on the family became particularly evident during times of hardship. When faced with the news of their grandfather’s cancer diagnosis, Zoey stepped up as a pillar of Support.
Brittany Thorn, the executive director of Best Friends Animal Society in Los Angeles, emphasized Zoey’s story as a testament to the unique companionship that senior pets bring. Thorn noted that Zoey’s ability to ease anxiety and provide comfort in challenging times underscored the special bond that forms between senior animals and their families.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Woman Bids Farewell to Senior Dog in Devastating Video
- Senior Dog Confused with New Kitten Sibling!
- Senior Dog’s Reaction to New Puppy Draws Laughter
- Blind Senior Pit Bull Struggled to Make it on the Streets – Now He Has a Warm Laundry Basket to Nap In! [Video]
- What a Blind, Senior Sheep Taught Me About the Complexity and Kindness of Animals
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!