States are taking steps to re-open and relax social distancing rules during the coronavirus pandemic. States are trying to make up for catastrophic economic losses but health experts say reopening is not a good idea.
More than 30 states are reducing social distancing restrictions as May begins. According to CNN, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a document providing guidance on how businesses, schools, churches, transit organizations and others can safely re-open during the pandemic. Each recommendation includes a plan for phasing in re-opening.
Health officials have repeated that states should not begin reopening until coronavirus cases have declined for 10 consecutive days. To states that re-open too early, “You’re making a big mistake. It’s going to cost lives,” Dr. Irwin Redlener, a pediatrician and disaster preparedness specialist at Columbia University Medical Center, told CNN.
Georgia, a state that allowed businesses to reopen and removed the state’s shelter in place order on May 1 and reopened some businesses the week before, saw a spike in cases after the social distancing measures expired. Restaurants in Georgia, Tennessee, and Alaska opened for dine-in business the last week of April, and Texas, Oklahoma, Utah and part of Iowa are lifting social distancing restrictions May 1.
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the government’s top infectious disease expert, told CNN on April 30 that states that reopen without taking caution or putting measures like testing and protective equipment in place are, “making a really significant risk.”
Scientists believe that the spread of COVID-19, or coronavirus, started at an exotic animal market in Wuhan, China. You can help stop the incidence of viruses like these by signing this petition to ban the wildlife trade.
This is a good time to reconsider our intake of animal products to stay healthy. Eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
Interested in joining the dairy-free and meatless train? We highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Catch up on our latest coronavirus coverage in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- How Coronavirus and the Wildlife Trade are Linked
- Jane Goodall’s Talks about Coronavirus and the Treatment of Wild Animals
- United States Now Has Most Coronavirus Cases in the World
- Coronavirus Update: How Emerging Diseases are Linked to Factory Farms
- Coronavirus Update: Death Toll Surpasses SARS
- The Difference Between COVID-19 and the Flu
- Coronavirus Update: Quarantined Patients Given Turtles for Dinner In Spite of
- Coronavirus Update: Your Pets are Not in Danger
- China Acts on Coronavirus and Temporarily Bans Wildlife Trade
- Coronavirus Update: World Global Emissions Have Dropped
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!