As of Thursday, March 26, the United States has the most coronavirus cases in the world. With at least 81,321 people infected, the United States has more confirmed cases than China, Italy or any other country, according to the New York Times.
There are over 510,000 cases reported worldwide. The United States’ 330 million residents provide a significant number of people that can be infected with the virus. With a collection of independent states and mixed messages from President Trump, the virus spread without a swift, federal response.
States are struggling to close schools, set up hospitals as the request more medical and protective equipment from the federal government. 160 million Americans are under lockdown to try to contain the virus and the government is urging people to practice social distancing.
“We are the new global epicenter of the disease. Now, all we can do is to slow the transmission as much as possible by hunkering down in our houses while, as a country, we ramp up production of personal protective equipment, materials needed for testing, and ventilators,” Dr. Sara Keller, an infectious disease specialist at Johns Hopkins Medicine, told the New York Times.
New York was the first hardest-hit state, with about half of the country’s cases by the end of March. Officials now warn that the virus could spread to other areas of the country, including Michigan and Illinois. “This is going to be the disaster that defines our generation,” said Collin Arnold, New Orleans director of the city’s Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness.
Now, all we can do is to slow the transmission as much as possible by hunkering down in our houses while, as a country, we ramp up production of personal protective equipment, materials needed for testing, and ventilators.”
You can also stay safe by avoiding animal products and choosing to eat more plant-based foods, which is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
Interested in joining the dairy-free and meatless train? We highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Catch up on our coronavirus coverage in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- China Acts on Coronavirus and Temporarily Bans Wildlife Trade
- Coronavirus Update: Chinese Citizens Begin Disposing of Pets, Footage of Corpses Lining Street
- Coronavirus Update: Indonesians Called to Stop Eating Bats and Animal Activists Saving Pets in China
- Coronavirus Update: World Global Emissions Have Dropped
- How Coronavirus and the Wildlife Trade are Linked
- Coronavirus Update: How Emerging Diseases are Linked to Factory Farms
- Coronavirus Update: Death Toll Surpasses SARS
- Coronavirus Update: Quarantined Patients Given Turtles for Dinner In Spite of Virus Being Linked to Wild Animal Trade!
- Coronavirus Update: Pangolins Blamed for Spreading Virus
- Chinese Citizens Being Ordered to Dispose of Pets Despite Any Connection with Coronavirus Outbreak
- Coronavirus Update: Your Pets are Not in Danger
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!