Consumerism is to blame for many of the world’s problems. From animal welfare, climate change, and the enormous environmental and social impacts, there’s no denying the fact that something needs to change. The good news is, plenty of people are waking up and being the change they want to see in the world. Now, with a growing number of ethical brands and designers, you too can be the change and make a statement with your clothing!
Here are 5 simple ways you can make a positive statement with your clothing!
1. Wear Slogan Tees
Source: Tiny Rescue Climate Collection
One of the best ways to make an impact with fashion is to wear your cause! Slogan tees are a bold and clear way to support causes that you feel passionate about. When it comes to saving the planet, small efforts do count. Spreading positive messages in your day-to-day life through slogan tees will inspire change wherever you go! Whether you’re passionate about our oceans, animal welfare, forests, or climate change, there are plenty of green-initiative-driven and creative brands and designers to choose from. Be smart, though, and buy from sustainable brands, like these slogan tees are made from recycled fibers and are completely plastic-free!
2. Choose Ethical Brands
The fashion industry is one of the most polluting industries globally, with billions of clothes being produced each year and accounting for up to 10% of global carbon dioxide output, not to mention its impact on people and labor workers forced to work at a low wage and unsafe conditions. Becoming a conscious consumer has never been more important. Luckily, consumers are starting to wake up to this reality and are beginning to hold brands accountable for their actions. Brands are now expected to be socially inclusive, support the ethical production of their clothes, and be completely transparent with their customers.
3. Buy Sustainably
Fast fashion has an enormous environmental and social impact. With the rise of greenwashing, it’s becoming harder to differentiate sustainable brands from those wanting to appear that way. Brands now have a responsibility to create awareness around sustainable fashion and take an active role in making a serious change. A carbon-neutral fashion industry centered around the welfare of people, animals, and the planet is the ultimate goal. Amazingly, circular zero-waste brands like Tiny Rescue have already started supporting this movement in an attempt to reduce waste and create long-lasting items that can be loved for a long time.
4. Quality Over Quantity
The EPA estimates that Americans produce 16 million tons of textile waste annually. This number is growing due to fast fashion and the rise of fashion trends. Fast fashion clothes are priced incredibly low, are produced with unsustainable fabrics, and are not made to last. You may wear the item a handful of times before the hype surrounding the trend has gone as fast as it emerged. Not only do quality garments fit better and feel more comfortable, but they will save you money in the long run and you can feel good knowing you’re making a conscious decision to be more sustainable.
5. Invest in Timeless Staples
With clothing production at an all-time high and fashion trends that come and go, filling your wardrobe with high-quality, timeless staples is the way to go. Staple pieces can be worn and re-worn all year round throughout the seasons. What many people overlook is how much you save in the long run when you invest in these classic items, made to last, instead of giving into trends and purchasing items from fast fashion brands, only to discard them after one or two wears. If you don’t want to invest in brand-new pieces, consider buying high-quality pieces second-hand in thrift stores.
- The Environmental and Social Impact of Top Holiday Gifts
- Tips for Making Your Holidays a Little More Environmentally-Friendly
- Easy Swaps to Help Make Your Holidays Waste Free!
- Australian Artist Uses Sand to Create Art and Reduce Waste
- Petition: Ban Single-Use Plastic; Microplastics Have Now Been Found in Antarctica
- Baby Bottles Release Microplastics, Per New Study
More Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products