Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
We are currently in a defining moment in history. Climate change is affecting all aspects of life all over the globe. You may be wondering what you can do as an individual to make a difference. The reality is there are many things you can do every day to help reduce your carbon footprint. We all have a responsibility to help the planet, and lucky for you, we’ve put together a 10-step guide.
Here are 10 simple ways you can help the planet today!
1. Bike More
In 2022, transportation (Cars, trucks, commercial aircraft, and railroads) accounted for the largest portion (27 percent) of total U.S. GHG emissions. By choosing to bike places instead of driving just once a day, you can reduce your average carbon emissions from transport by 67 percent! Even if you can stay off the road for a couple of days out of the week, you are still making a massive difference.
2. Plant Trees
Trees are some of the most valuable resources on earth. They help combat some of the worst effects of human-induced Climate change by absorbing large amounts of greenhouse gases such as methane and carbon dioxide. Since 2010, the UN FAO estimates that 10 million hectares of forest have been cut down each year. The systematic destruction of trees has taken a toll on our planet. To help, you can plant trees in your yard or property, volunteer with local organizations, and encourage others to do the same.
3. Reduce Waste
Every year a massive 2.12 billion tons of waste is dumped on the planet. Shockingly, this is enough waste to travel around the world 24 times! A lot of waste, especially plastic, never truly goes away. To reduce waste in your life, consider making the switch to sustainable alternatives. By ditching the plastic, avoiding single-use packaging, repurposing old items, composting food scraps, and avoiding fast fashion, you can help be a part of the change!
4. Eat Veggies
Moving to a plant-based diet is perhaps the most powerful personal weapon in our fight against Climate change while also reducing animal suffering and risks to public health and improving individual health. Research has shown that by simply removing animal products from our diet, we can reduce our individual carbon footprint from food by up to 73 percent. It could also cut our water footprint by about half. Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting
5. Save Energy
As conscious consumers, transitioning into greener ways of living and reducing your energy consumption is a must. Luckily, there are many ways you can help accomplish this at home. Washing full laundry loads, using cold water, air-drying clothes, buying second-hand, and supporting eco-friendly brands are just a few of the ways you can reduce your energy consumption.
6. Vote Smart
As consumers, you can make your voice heard. From the food you eat to the clothes you buy, you are casting your vote all day long, whether you realize it to not. Part of being a conscious consumer entails making informed decisions and being proud of the choices you are making. One of the greatest actions you can take to make your voice heard is by electing representatives who are committed to the green initiative and accelerating real action-based initiatives against Climate change to make lasting changes. By choosing to only Support climate action-oriented politicians, you are reinforcing those making the right choices for people and the planet and applying pressure on those who stay quiet. You can learn more here about how to Support political candidates who are leading the environmental movement.
7. Buy Eco
In 2022, simply knowing about the environmental crisis is not enough. Luckily, innovative brands are promoting a sustainable future. Tiny Rescue is a mission-based sustainable fashion line raising awareness surrounding the devastating effects of fast fashion and paving the way with recycled zero-waste products designed to be returned, reprocessed, respun, and remade repeatedly. Their clothes can be sent back and remade into brand new products, thus, helping maintain a waste-free planet!
8. Go Plastic-Free
In the United States, it is estimated that only 5-6 percent of plastic waste gets recycled. The plastic materials that don’t end up recycled typically get sent to landfills, where they may take as many as 1,000 years to decompose. For something that is supposed to be quick and convenient, there is nothing quick or convenient about the complete lifecycle of a plastic object. To help make a difference, make the switch and go plastic-free!
9. Reuse Stuff
For those of us looking to care for the planet, we need to get back to reuse. And, when items can’t be reused, we need to find ways to repurpose them. As an added benefit, you’ll begin to realize that simply throwing items away and buying new items isn’t sustainable, and you’ll start to be inclined to buy something of higher quality, something that will last, and something we need.
10. Make Some Noise
Source: Tiny Rescue Climate Collection
We need to be the voice for our planet, so let’s make some noise with this Make some Noise sweatshirt. All orders are fulfilled in real time using renewable energy across the entire supply chain, and the whole process is completely circular, meaning all products are made to be sent back and turned into something new! This amazing sweatshirt is made from recycled materials and is completely plastic-free as well! Available in men’s and women’s sizes in both tees and sweatshirts!
- The Environmental and Social Impact of Top Holiday Gifts
- Tips for Making Your Holidays a Little More Environmentally-Friendly
- Easy Swaps to Help Make Your Holidays Waste Free!
- Australian Artist Uses Sand to Create Art and Reduce Waste
- Petition: Ban Single-Use Plastic; Microplastics Have Now Been Found in Antarctica
- Baby Bottles Release Microplastics, Per New Study
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!