Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
These new AI images capture what the world could look like in the year 2100 as a result of climate change and what the world could look like if we reached net zero. The images, made thanks to new research from Uswitch.com, show a heartbreaking future for our planet. The experts used an AI tool called Midjourney to create images of world-famous destinations and showed how they could look if we don’t reach net zero by 2050.
The team worked with Professor Sam Fankhauser, Research Director of Oxford University Net Zero, to analyze emission data from various sectors to show how we can get to net zero by 2050. They also reviewed the latest IPCC report to see how each country will be most affected by climate change in 2100.
Through AI, the team creates images of 20 famous places around the world so the public can see how they will likely look in the future if we don’t act soon.
While the AI suggested extreme smog from air pollution, floods, and desertification, the team also tasked the tool with creating a best-case scenario for the future if net zero is achieved. The difference in images is striking and goes to show how much we need to work toward a clean future.
London in 2100:
Toronto in 2100:
New York in 2100:
Ben Gallizzi, energy expert at Uswitch.com said, “It is important to visualize how the world could look in the next few decades if we fail to start making changes now.”
“These small changes could be as simple as reducing the number of days we commute by car, reassessing the type and amount of food we eat or making our homes more energy efficient.”
“If countries around the world do not start to change their habits, then the repercussions could lead to many places looking unrecognizable.”
These images remind us that we’ve only got one Earth and we need to protect it. Cutting your carbon footprint is the surest way to minimize the amount of warming greenhouse gas emissions entering the atmosphere. While you can do many little things like shutting off lights when you leave your house, choosing to walk instead of driving, and switching over to energy-efficient appliances – there is one simple action that often goes overlooked that has the highest positive impact: eating plant-based.
Animal agriculture is responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector combined. In addition, this industry occupies 45 percent of arable land, uses 23 percent of global freshwater resources, and is responsible for rampant deforestation, water drought, and air Pollution. By shifting away from meat and dairy products and choosing plant-based alternatives instead, you can help lower this rate of destruction. In just one year of eating plant-based, you can halve your carbon footprint – that’s pretty powerful!
- Photographers Capture Powerful Images of Animal Exploitation Around the World
- These Beautiful Images Tell a Dark Story of How Our Plastic Trash Impacts Dolphins and Whales
- Photographer Captures Gripping Images of What Happens to All Our Single-Use Plastics
- Satellite Images Remind Us That Earth is a Piece of Art and We Have to Protect Its Beauty!
- This Photo Captures The Sad Future Of Orangutans If We Don’t Act Now
- Shocking Photos That Illustrate the Reality of Deforestation
- French Artist Creates an Eye-Opening Depiction of What The World Will Look Like Post-Climate Change
- Google Earth’s Timelapse Feature Shows How Climate Change Has Impacted the Planet
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!