PETA urged residents to skip the zoo and support animals instead. In a statement, PETA spokesperson Emily Rice said, Wild animals suffer tremendously, both physically and mentally, from the frustration of life in captivity, and they often display neurotic behaviour, such as incessant pacing, swaying, and bar-biting.Zoos put the con in conservation, because no lion, cheetah, chimpanzee, or other animal born at these facilities will ever be released into the wild. We urge Australians passionate about wild animals to stay away and instead donate to organisations that protect animals in their native habitats.At the end of the day, the paying public can go home, but the animals remain in captivity as living exhibits used to attract crowds until the day they die – often thousands of miles from where they truly belong.”
The Sydney Zoo claimed that their animals received extensive habitats and enrichment options, according to the AU News. The zoo will have 30 species including zebras, baboons, lions, and cheetahs. Over 2000 animals will be housed there. The New South Wales Premier said the zoo’s mission is to “respect our environment (and) protect endangered species,” according to The Senior.
Zoos are harmful to wildlife and do not help with conservation efforts, as they most commonly publicize. Animals are kept in small habitats and often suffer emotional distress. Sign this petition to call for a ban on zoos around the world!
Read more about why zoos are harmful to society in One Green Planet:
- What Keeping Polar Bears in Zoos and Aquariums Does to These Animals Will Shock You
- Zookeeper Attacked by Tiger is Further Proof that Wild Animals Don’t Belong in Captivity
- Zoochosis and the Many Ways We Have Failed Zoo Animals
- Zoochosis: What Really Happens to Animals in Captivity (VIDEO)
- The Truth About the Lives of Animals in Captivity Versus the Wild
- How Zoos are Distorting Our View of the Natural World
- These Were the 10 Worst U.S. Zoos for Elephants in 2017 – Let’s Change This In 2018! (VIDEO)
- 7 Lessons We Really Should Be Learning From Zoos
- Think Zoos Are Fun Places? You Need to Watch This Video
- Stunning Photos Showcase the Suffering of Animals in Zoos, Aquariums, and More
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!