The Shark Fin Sales Elimination Act (SFSEA) has passed the Senate, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), shared! This act would remove all commercial trade of shark fins and their products in the United States.
The act will help protect shark species and stop the inhumane, dangerous practice of shark finning. U.S. Senators Cory Booker, Shelley Moore Capito, and Brian Schatz helped attach the act as part of the larger package the U.S. Innovation and Competition Act, S. 1260.
Sara Amundson, president of the Humane Society Legislative Fund said in an emailed statement, “Year after year shark populations are declining, due in no small part to fishermen the world over mangling sharks by slicing off their fins while at sea, leaving the mutilated animals to drown or be eaten alive by other fish,” said Sara Amundson, president of the Humane Society Legislative Fund. “The Senate’s passage of the Shark Fin Sales Elimination Act is a critical step toward extracting the United States from the cruel and destructive global shark fin trade. Enough is enough: sharks are worth more alive than in a bowl of soup.”
Shark fins can sell for up to $500 per pound and are mainly used for the traditional Chinese dish, shark fin soup. Finning a shark involves, mercilessly slicing off a sharks’ fins and then dropping the shark back into the ocean, sometimes still alive. These sharks slowly sink to the bottom of the sea where they will eventually die. The whole process is incredibly traumatizing, painful, and inhumane. As many as 73 million sharks are killed annually for their fins. The legislation now moves into the House of Representatives.
Sign this petition to demand Ireland passes the bill amending the Wildlife Act that would give basking sharks additional protections!
- Shark Fin Sales Elimination Act Reintroduced in Congress
- Squalene: How Sharks are Killed to Extract this Oil from Their Liver to Make Daily Products and Supplements
- 7 Alarming Facts About the Shark Fin Trade
- 10 Amazing Videos of Ocean Conservationists Interacting with Sharks
- Win! House Passes Shark Fin Sales Elimination Act
- This #SharkWeek Urge Your U.S. Senators to Pass the Shark Fin Sales Elimination Act
- 26 Tonnes of Shark Fin Worth $1.1 Million Recovered in Hong Kong
- About $1 Million Worth of Shark Fins Seized in Florida
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!