Multiple actors and celebrities are urging New Jersey to ban gestation and veal crates. Paul Wesley, Christina Ricci, Stevie Van Zandt, Chelsea Handler, Ethan Hawke, and others signed a letter to urge the legislature to end the confinement of mother pigs and calves in the state, Animal Legal Defense Fund Shared.
“Ten states, Canada, and the European Union have already banned gestation crates while nine states have banned veal crates,” says Animal Legal Defense Fund Executive Director Stephen Wells. “Coupled with increasing demand by consumers for increased compassion and transparency in how farmed animals are raised, now is the time for New Jersey to ban the crates.”
New legislation, S.3401/ A.5236, sponsored by Senator Vin Gopal (D-11) and Assemblyman Raj Mukherji (D-33), would ban gestation and veal crates, ensuring animals have enough room to move around safely.
“In gestation crates, mother pigs are nearly immobilized, unable to even turn around or stretch their legs,” says actor, director, and New Jersey native Paul Wesley. “Intensively confining these sensitive, intelligent animals is simply cruel. New Jersey must outlaw the extreme confinement of mother pigs and calves used for veal.”
The letter sent to the legislature notes, “Gestation crates and veal crates are inherently cruel. Both include severely restricting the animal’s movement, to the point of virtual immobilization, which leads to highly stressful conditions that induces physical and psychological illness — and great suffering.”
Read more about gestation crates and where the largest food companies stand on animal welfare issues.
Sign this petition to tell companies to publicly commit to ending gestation crates.
Sign these other petitions to help pigs:
- Demand Smithfield Foods Stop Using Gestation Crates
- Ban Gestation Crates That Imprison Pigs for Constant Breeding!
- Tell IFC to Divest from Factory Farming
- Companies Failing to Fulfill Promises to End the Use of Cruel Gestation Crates
- 9 States That Have Banned Cruel Gestation Crates for Pigs
- This is What Life Inside a Gestation Crate is Like for a Pig
- Heartbreaking Ways Animal Mothers Are Harmed and Exploited by Humans Every Day
- ‘Vampire Dairies’ Paul Wesley Speaks Out Against Gestation Crates
- The Beautiful Moment a Mama Pig Finally Gets to Keep Her Babies Will Have You in Happy Tears (VIDEO)
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!