These ice cream bars are inspired by the Golden Gaytime, a finger-sized toffee and vanilla ice cream bar dipped in chocolate and covered in biscuit pieces, originating from Australia. This recipe is a healthier version of the Aussie dessert, made with a crumbly oat base, creamy coconut ice cream filling, and all topped with a drizzle of chocolate and a divine cookie crumble. These little bars have the same texture and taste of the original with just a fraction of the guilt!
Toffee Vanilla Ice Cream Slices [Vegan]
For the Base:
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/3 cup dates, soaked in water overnight
For the Ice Cream:
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight
For the Caramel Sauce:
- 1/4 cup dates, soaked in water overnight
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon tahini
For the Cookie Crumbs:
- 3 tablespoons ground nuts
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- A pinch of cinnamon, or cacao
- 2 tablespoons oat flour
- 1/8 cup dates, soaked in water overnight
- A pinch of salt
For the Chocolate Drizzle:
- 1/4 cup coconut butter or oil
- 1 tablespoon cacao
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
To Make the Base:
- In a food processor, pulse all of the base ingredients until they come together. Press mixture into the bottom of your tin or container.
To Make the Ice Cream:
- Drain the cashews. In a food processor, blend all of the ice cream ingredients until very creamy and smooth. Set aside in a bowl.
To Make the Caramel Sauce:
- In a food processor, blend all of the caramel ingredients until thick and smooth. Add a splash of the reserved soaking water from the dates if the mixture is lumpy or not combining.
To Form the Slices:
- Pour 1/3 of the ice cream into your tin/container. Pour 1/3 of the caramel sauce on top of the ice cream. Gently dip a knife into the mixture to create a swirl. Repeat for the rest of the ice cream and the caramel sauce.
- Put the slice in freezer to set for at least 2 hours.
To Make the Cookie Crumbs:
- In a food processor, quickly whiz all of the ingredients until crumbly. You can have the crumbs raw, or bake them in the oven at 356°F for about 10 minutes. If the crumbs stick together, separate them with your fingertips. Set aside.
To Make the Chocolate Drizzle:
- Mix all the ingredients until combined. If your chocolate is lumpy, add a dash of water. Set aside.
- Remove the slice from the freezer. Cut into bars/squares. Drizzle the chocolate sauce on the slice and sprinkle on the cookie crumbs.
- Serve immediately or keep in freezer to continue setting.