These chickpeas are a heady melody of savory and subtle tartness. The tangy, sweetly sour tamarind, nutty chickpeas and spicy harissa meld well together and it’s even better after a day or two. Make a big batch so you'll have plenty of leftovers for the rest of the week. It’s wonderful for quick weeknight meals, especially perfect over quinoa and peas, or rice or with some pita bread.
Spiced Chickpeas With Harissa and Tamarind [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons harissa paste
- 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper, optional
- 2-3 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 2-2 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 15-oz canned chickpeas, drained)
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add mustard seeds when oil is hot, stir and cook for about a minute until seeds start popping.
- Add cumin, onions and tomato paste and cook for a minute or two until onions start to soften.
- Add garlic, harissa, and cook for another minute or so.
- Stir in tamarind, and paprika, Aleppo pepper and chickpeas and water, mix well to coat.
- Lower heat and cook for three to five minutes or until chickpeas are warmed through.
- Season with salt to taste.
Add 1/2 cup water or more if you prefer more saucy stew-like chickpeas
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS