This shepherdess pie is far superior to its male counterpart. The filling for this hearty meal is made from savory lentils, tender peas, and perfectly cooked carrots, then it's topped with a creamy mixture of mashed sweet potatoes, garlic, and vegan cream cheese. This is a great meal to make for a big group.
Shepherdess Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Filling:
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
4 teaspoons tomato paste
1 vegetable stock cube plus 1/2 cup hot water
2 springs fresh rosemary, stems removed, or about 1 teaspoon dried
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 15-ounce cans green lentils, drained
1 large carrot, diced into small cubes
1/2 cup green peas, frozen
For the Topping:
4-5 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 large garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
1/3 cup soy milk
2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
Salt, to taste
- Boil the sweet potatoes and the garlic cloves until the potatoes are tender. This should take about 10 minutes.
- In a skillet, fry the onion and garlic until they're fragrant and the onion is translucent. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf, tomato paste, stock cube, and water and continue to cook them until the stock cube is well dissolved and the mixture is bubbling. Add the vinegar, lentils, and carrots. Reduce the heat and allow them to cook until carrots are tender.
- Throw in the green peas and cook the mixture for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the salt take it off the heat.
- Leave the filling in the skillet if you have one that can be put in the oven/grill. Otherwise, transfer it to a baking dish. Drain and mash the sweet potatoes.
- Add the garlic, soy milk, cream cheese, and salt and mash the mixture until it's smooth.
- Make sure it is nice, soft and creamy and you don't have any big chunks of unmashed potato.
- Spoon the topping over your lentil filling, you can pipe it as well to make it look pretty.
- Place under the grill until the peaks of the potato mixture begin to caramelize. This should take about 10 minutes.