You are about to embark on a recipe that is not only totally kid tested and approved but something totally different to add to your vegan repertoire. While it does take a little doing to make the vegan fish sticks (or “wish” sticks if you prefer), the tartar sauce is crazy easy and putting the sandwich together is a breeze. Another cool thing is that you will likely have leftover wish sticks that you can have for lunch later in the week. Let’s get started!
Tofu Fish Sandwich [Vegan]
- 1 package firm or extra firm tofu (12oz.)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (use rice flour for a gluten free option)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons dulse flakes
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 10 turns fresh black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 cup high heat oil for frying
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 5 turns fresh black pepper
- Drain and rinse the tofu and set it in a colander to drain. To make it drain even better, place a plate on top of the tofu and set something heavy on it. Set aside for now.
- Make the breading by placing the cornmeal, flour, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, dulse flakes, sea salt and pepper into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk to combine ingredients and set aside.
- Take tofu out of colander and set it on a cutting board.
- Cut in in half and then into quarters (see pictures)
- Take each of the quarters and slice them into thin pieces. You should be able to get 7 or 8 slices out of one of the quarters (28 – 32 total).
- At this point you want to heat your oil in a large cast iron skillet on medium / low.
- Place the non-dairy milk in a small bowl.
- Take each piece of tofu and dip it in the non-dairy milk and then dredge it in the breading, making sure to coat the tofu well on all sides.
- Place on a large plate and repeat until all of the tofu is covered in batter.
- When the oil is hot and starting to splatter, add as much tofu as can fit in the skillet. You will likely have to do this in a couple batches, depending on the size of your pan.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown on one side.
- Flip over and cook for an additional 2 minutes on the other side or until golden brown.
- Take the tofu out of the pan and place on a brown paper bag so that the oil gets soaked up by the bag.
- Repeat with the rest of the tofu until all of it has been fried.
- Allow to cool and serve it with tartar sauce
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Assemble and devour, and be happy for all the fishies in the sea!