Welcome Green Monsters! We're your online guide to making conscious choices that help people, animals and the planet.
Download food monster: the biggest, baddest, yummiest vegan food app!
single

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR Newsletter

  GET FOOD MONSTER AppX

Ah…the delicious food, scrumptious chocolates and cookies, family time, sparkly decorations, and last minute Christmas shopping complete with crowds. The holidays are going in full force and there’s no avoiding it! And, hosting a home holiday party or having family over for a Christmas dinner may make you want to decorate with traditional items such as real flowers and garlands like mistletoe, holly, lilies, and poinsettias, but there is something you need to consider before you bring some of these plants into your home, and that is: Do you have a dog or cat?

While having mistletoe to kiss under or a potted poinsettia set out beautifully on the coffee table can make your home merry and bright, they can pose a serious health risk to family pets. Dogs and cats are curious creatures that will thoroughly inspect the things that draw their attention, unaware of the health dangers that these things might bring.

Keep this holiday season happy and safe for all by knowing which holiday and winter plants are toxic to pets so that these plants can be avoided or kept out of reach, at the very least.

Mistletoe

This holiday favorite is a lovely home decoration for Christmastime and is an important “kissing” tradition to many people. However, mistletoe is poisonous to pets and, if ingested, pets like dogs and cats may experience gastrointestinal upset and show signs of poisoning such as a sudden and severe drop in blood pressure, difficulty breathing, low heart rate, and a sudden change in mental function. If a large amount is ingested, then an animal could experience seizures and possibly hallucinations or even death can occur. Both fresh and dried mistletoe leaves and berries are toxic, and both need to be well out of a pet’s reach or, to make everything much easier, don’t bring mistletoe into your home in the first place.

Holly

Another popular decorative holiday plant is holly. It stands out on its own and makes a great addition to Christmas garlands, wreaths, and centerpieces. It is also sometimes used to decorate wrapped gifts. Unfortunately for pets, holly can be dangerous and is considered poisonous. Symptoms of ingestion may include an extreme decrease in energy, vomiting, diarrhea, upset stomach, and unusually excessive drooling. It’s very important to consider where you place holly. Remember: cats can scale bookshelves and mantels, and bigger dogs can reach areas like tabletops, so you’ll want to keep it out-of-reach of them both.

Lilies

Cats are particularly susceptible to the dangerous toxins in lilies and lily bulbs. A cat ingesting any part of of a lily can lead them to have kidney failure. Other poisoning signs include: vomiting, depression, and loss of appetite.

A few more things to consider this holiday season

If you suspect your dog or cat has eaten mistletoe, holly, lilies, or other possible toxic plants, contact your veterinarian immediately — do not wait.

Along the same line, this may come as a surprise to some, but poinsettias are not deadly to pets, so display away! However, while it has a rather low level of toxicity, if your pet does gets its paws on it, there is still a chance that poinsettia plants can cause irritation to the mouth and stomach leading to vomiting. Also, watch to see if your dog or cat is chewing on the Christmas tree. The tree needle oil on some types of real Christmas trees is considered mildly toxic and can have some of the same symptoms as poinsettias. Be observant, as ornaments can also pose a danger of ingested.

The Humane Society of the United States has a list of some of the most common toxic plants to animals. Check out this list on their website, here.

Wishing you and your furry family members a very happy holiday season!

 Image Source: Glovatskiy/Shutterstock

Want to read more posts like this? Sign up for our newsletter below!​

Browse through some recent posts below:

5 Ways You Can Give Back to Animals Over the Holidays

What Adopting Dogs From Heartbreaking Situations Has Taught This Family About Love and Patience


Disclosure: One Green Planet accepts advertising, sponsorship, affiliate links and other forms of compensation, which may or may not influence the advertising content, topics or articles written on this site. Click here for more information.

5 comments on “Holiday Plants That Are Toxic to Dogs and Cats”

Click to add comment
kimberly
9 Months Ago


hi


Reply
kimberly
26 Feb 2017

is anyone here

JoJo McGrath
1 Years Ago

Lizzie Dale Please share to Reading xx


Reply
Elizabeth Runnels Ondyak
1 Years Ago

Chris Ondyak


Reply
Rachel Shewhodares
3 Years Ago

Just Mistletoe and Holly?


Reply
Janet Koch
3 Years Ago

Link's bad.


Reply
Kristina Pepelko
24 Dec 2013

Hi Janet! Does this link work for you: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/holiday-plants-that-are-toxic-to-dogs-and-cats/ ?

Janet Koch
24 Dec 2013

Yes! Thank you! I shared, emphasizing that poinsettias are OK! My farmer and florist friends will appreciate us!

Kristina Pepelko
24 Dec 2013

Great! Glad to hear it :) Happy Holidays!



Subscribe to our Newsletter




Follow us on


Do Not Show This Again

×

Submit to OneGreenPlanet


Terms & Conditions ×
  GET FOOD MONSTER APPX