Making Thousand Island dressing with good quality ingredients and fewer sweeteners makes for a healthier Reuben, especially a veggie-forward version. The zucchini is roasted with smoky herbs for a heartier bite. Make several sandwiches, or serve the zucchini with other dishes.
Zucchini Reuben With Homemade Thousand Island Dressing [Vegan]
For the Herb-Roasted Zucchini:
- 3 medium zucchinis, sliced into thick rings
- Avocado oil or safflower oil
- Smoked sea salt
- Black pepper
For the Thousand Island Dressing:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons finely diced red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon finely minced garlic (about half of a small clove)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked sea salt, to taste
- 2-3 dashes hot sauce (optional)
For the Sandwich:
- Marble rye bread
- Homemade Thousand Island dressing
- Herb roasted zucchini
- Vegan Swiss cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a baking sheet with oil.
- Arrange the zucchini slices evenly across the baking sheet. Brush with oil. Sprinkled with salt, pepper, turmeric, harissa, and turmeric.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until browned and tender.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- To make the dressing, add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix well. Taste, and add additional salt if desired.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld. Serve. Store remaining dressing in the refrigerator.