This firm, mild cheese with the classic, distinctive Swiss cheese taste is ideal for slicing, shredding, and melting on your favorite sandwiches.
Swiss Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
1 1-pound block
Ingredients You Need for Swiss Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cheese:
- 1/2 cup raw Brazil nuts, soaked, drained, and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water, filtered
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
For the Agar Gel:
- 1 cup cold water, filtered
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agar powder
How to Prepare Swiss Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Place all the cheese ingredients in a blender. Process until completely smooth. Leave the cheese mixture in the blender.
- To make the agar gel, whisk the cold water and the agar together in a saucepan. Let it soak for 5 minutes then bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, whisking often, for 5 to 8 minutes, to activate the agar.
- Once the agar mixture is ready, quickly transfer it to the cheese mixture in the blender and process until it is homogenous. Pour into a container, cover, and let the cheese set in the refrigerator, at least 2 to 4 hours.
- Wrap the cheese in waxed paper. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Will keep, refrigerated, for 1 to 2 weeks.
To make the “Swiss” holes, use a drinking straw or apple corer. Excerpted from VEGAN CHEESE: Simple, Delicious, Plant-Based Recipes by Jules Aron. Copyright © 2017. Used with permission of the publisher, Countryman Press. All rights reserved. https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Cheese-Delicious-Plant-Based-Recipes/dp/1581574037/?tag=onegrepla-20
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.