This firm, mild cheese with the classic, distinctive Swiss cheese taste is ideal for slicing, shredding, and melting on your favorite sandwiches.
Swiss Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
1 1-pound block
For the Cheese:
- 1/2 cup raw Brazil nuts, soaked, drained, and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water, filtered
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
For the Agar Gel:
- 1 cup cold water, filtered
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agar powder
- Place all the cheese ingredients in a blender. Process until completely smooth. Leave the cheese mixture in the blender.
- To make the agar gel, whisk the cold water and the agar together in a saucepan. Let it soak for 5 minutes then bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, whisking often, for 5 to 8 minutes, to activate the agar.
- Once the agar mixture is ready, quickly transfer it to the cheese mixture in the blender and process until it is homogenous. Pour into a container, cover, and let the cheese set in the refrigerator, at least 2 to 4 hours.
- Wrap the cheese in waxed paper. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Will keep, refrigerated, for 1 to 2 weeks.
To make the “Swiss” holes, use a drinking straw or apple corer. Excerpted from VEGAN CHEESE: Simple, Delicious, Plant-Based Recipes by Jules Aron. Copyright © 2017. Used with permission of the publisher, Countryman Press. All rights reserved. https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Cheese-Delicious-Plant-Based-Recipes/dp/1581574037/?tag=onegrepla-20