Take some bread, some delicious ripe tomatoes, and zucchini and whip up this amazing dish! It's not only a light meal, but it makes a great appetizer, as well. You can use either white bread or whole wheat for this recipe.
Zucchini Artichoke Panzanella [Vegan]
- 1 loaf whole grain Italian-style bread, cubed into about 1″ pieces
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into about 1″ pieces (the riper the better since ripe tomatoes are juicier and that juice is what makes this dish wonderful)
- 2 medium-sized zucchinis, cut into about 1″ pieces
- 1 bag frozen artichoke hearts (around 12 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon chopped black olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped basil plus some whole leaves for garnish
- small amount of vegetable oil for roasting the veggies
- After you cube the bread, lay the cubes out on a baking dish and bake at 350° for about 30 minutes, until the edges are golden and nice and crunchy. Remove and let cool. It’s okay if it gets hard while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Increase the oven temp to 425°.
- Place the zucchini, artichoke hearts and peeled garlic cloves onto a lightly oiled roasting dish. Toss them around so that they all get a very fine coat of oil. Roast until the zucchini is soft and has a bit of color on it (about 20 minutes). Add a little bit of water if needed half way through to prevent sticking.
- Remove the veggies from the oven and let cool a bit. You can serve them warm, room temp or cold.
- Toss all the ingredients together and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar.
- Garnish with some fresh basil leaves.