What better way to ease into winter than with a delicious warm bowl of comforting dahl. With the blend of spices, creaminess of the coconut milk and wholesome brown rice, this Yellow Split Pea Dahl dish is the perfect way to warm you up from inside. Nourishing, easy to digest and flavorsome, it’s most certainly a great option for these chilly days we’ve been having.
Yellow Split Pea Dahl [Vegan]
- 2 Cups Yellow Split Peas - soaked in water for at least 20 mins
- 3 Cloves of Garlic - Peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4-inch Knob of Fresh Ginger - Peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Small Onion - Peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- 1 Can Organic Coconut Milk
- 2 tablespoons Organic Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
- 1-2 tablespoons Fresh Curry Leaves
- 3 teaspoons Organic Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 2 Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
- 3 teaspoons Yellow Mustard Seeds
- Organic Brown Rice
- Side Salad (Optional)
Lower Carb Option:
- Cauliflower Rice
- Baby Spinach
- Peel and chop the onion, garlic and ginger and set aside.
- In a large pot (that has a lid), heat the coconut oil on a medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 1 minute. Add the chopped ginger and garlic and sautéed for a further minute.
- Add the mustard seeds and sauté until the onions/garlic/ginger are golden brown. Add the spices and 1/4 cup boiling water and stir to form a thick paste. Reduce the heat and add the fresh curry leaves. Allow to cook for a further minute or so.
- Add the stock cube and 1 cup of boiling water. Bring the mixture back up to a boil. Add the rinsed and drained yellow split peas and 3 cups of boiling water. once the whole mixture has been stirred up and has been brought to a boil, reduce to simmer with the lid on for 40 mins.
- After 40 mins, add the coconut milk, turn up the heat a bit and cook for a further 15-20 minutes with the lid off until each pea is super soft and a thick creamy Dahl has formed. Serve with organic brown rice and side salad (optional). For lower carb option, serve on a bed of baby spinach or cauliflower 'rice'.
- Split Pea