This hearty and filling dish is perfect for those chilly summer nights. Soft, tender mushrooms are enveloped in a creamy and garlicky arborio rice and then topped with some fresh vegan Parmesan. Flavorful and delicious.
Wild Mushroom and Leek Risotto [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Wild Mushroom and Leek Risotto [Vegan]
For the Risotto:
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 of 1 large leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon organic cold pressed coconut oil
- Vegetable broth
- .35 ounces dried wild mushrooms, re-hydrated in a little stock water
- 1 cup Arborio risotto rice, rinsed
- 1/3 cup white wine
- Sprig of fresh thyme, for serving
For the Vegan Parmesan:
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 3 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
How to Prepare Wild Mushroom and Leek Risotto [Vegan]
To Make the Vegan Parmesan Cheese:
- Place all ingredients into a food processor, and blend until fine.
To Make the Wild Mushroom and Leek Risotto:
- Chop and prep all the vegetables.
- On a medium heat, add the coconut oil and when hot add the shallot, garlic, and leek. Sauté for about 4 minutes.
- Boil the vegetable broth. Put about 1/2 a cup aside in a small bowl and add the dried wild mushrooms to re-hydrate.
- Add the rinsed Arborio rice to the sauteing vegetables and saute for 1 minute, stirring the rice thoroughly ensuring the rice gets coated in the sauteed oil.
- Add the white wine and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- On a medium-low heat, slowly begin to add the remaining broth, about 1/2 a cup at a time, stirring once added and then leaving to simmer for about 4 minutes. Then adding another half a cup and repeating this process until the rice has cooked through, but not stodgy.
- Let the re-hydrated mushroom water be the last water you add. If you find you don't need to use all the stock water, that's fine, but the re-hydrated mushroom water will have a lot of flavor.
- Cook for a further minute and then add the mushrooms, stirring gently, leaving a few for topping when serving. Add 2-3 tablespoons of the vegan Parmesan cheese, a pinch of salt, stir, and remove from the heat.
- Garnish with a fresh sprig of thyme and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.