This Wholesome Chana Masala is so tasty and comforting. It's perfectly spiced and will make your kitchen smell amazing. Chana Masala is a great recipe to keep on hand because not only is it tasty, but it's also hearty. After a long day, you can pull some leftover chana masala out from your fridge, heat it up, and then enjoy a nice and filling meal.
Wholesome Chana Masala [Vegan]
- 1 cup sun dried oil free tomatoes (soaked 15 min in 1 1/2 cup water)
- 1 cup of water you may add more if needed
- 1 medium size onion diced
- 6 cloves of garlic diced
- 1 teaspoon ginger fresh diced or powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala homemade or store bought
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dry hot chili peppers to taste (broken into smaller pieces)
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- Fresh coriander 1 cup only the leaves
- 3 tablespoons grape seed oil or oil of your choice
- 2 cans of chickpeas, rinsed
- Sauté onion until translucent on a heated oil, add garlic and stir for couple seconds.
- Add rest of the spices except bay leaf.
- Reduce the heat and stir well for minute or two.
- Transfer everything into a blender, including the sun dried tomatoes with water they were soaked in and additional cup of water.
- Blend all until smooth.
- Transfer to a pot, add the chickpeas, fresh coriander and bay leaf.
- Bring into a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- You may add more water if needed, but usually the sauce gets thicker overnight, so it is better wait.
- Adjust the taste and serve with long basmati rice or rice of your choice.
- Top with fresh coriander.