This bread is perfect for the fall weather that we have all been waiting for. Enjoy the warmth and tastiness of this soft, healthy bread.
Whole Wheat Oat Bread [Vegan]
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white oats
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon warm water
- Add sugar to warm water, take 1 cup of this warm water and add yeast. Cover for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together whole wheat flour, oats, and salt. Add olive oil and mix well.
- Add yeast mix to flour mix, kneading well. Keep adding remaining water in parts. Stretch the dough with the heels of the palms and knead till a smooth and supple dough forms.
- This requires a lot of muscle power. Knead for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover and keep the dough for 20 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl to the kneading plate and knead for another 6 to 8 minutes.
- Grease one 7-inch x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle not bigger than the width of the pan you are using.
- Roll the dough towards you, tightly. Pinch seams to seal. Place the roll in the greased loaf tin with the seam side down. Cover and keep it to rise for 1 1/2 hour in a warm place.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes or till the top turns brown and the bottom of the pan sounds hollow when tapped. If the loaf is browning too quickly, tent the loaf loosely with a foil.
- Remove from the loaf tin after 10 minutes. Cool in the rack.
- Slice next day.