This is not your average lentil loaf! This loaf is taken to the next level thanks to the addition of walnuts that adds more protein to the meal and makes it even more filling. The sweet and savory barbecue sauce makes the meal extremely flavorful and a hit with everyone.
Walnut Lentil Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Barbecue Sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 5 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
For the Lentil Loaf:
- 1 cup green lentils, uncooked
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups spinach, closely packed
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup oat flour (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (gluten-free if necessary)
- 4 tablespoons psyllium husks powder
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (save 1/2 cup for glaze) (recipe above)
- Salt and pepper
To Make the Barbecue Sauce:
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to boil. Cook lentils for 15-20 minutes.
- In a non-stick pan, fry onion and garlic for 2-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add mushrooms, spinach, and thyme. Let simmer for 3 minutes.
- If the water haven't evaporated completely after simmering, drain through a strainer.
- Turn off heat and mix in 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce (don't forget to save the remaining for the glaze).
- On a non-stick pan, roast walnuts on medium-high heat until golden.
- In a food processor, add 2 cups cooked lentils and pulse until roughly blended. Add barbecue veggies and pulse just for a few seconds. Make sure not to pulse until smooth.
- Transfer all ingredients in a big bowl and combine with the remaining lentils, oat flour, breadcrumbs, walnuts, psyllium seeds husk powder, salt, and pepper.
- In a loaf pan, place parchment paper and transfer batter. Make sure to press down with a spoon or fork. Glaze with the remaining barbecue sauce.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from loaf pan and let cool on a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes, before removing parchment paper.
- Remove parchment paper and wait another 5 minutes before cutting (this will bring a firmer texture).