You won't believe that this Venezuelan dish is vegan! Vegan ham goes inside of this moist, flaky bread, topped with sesame seeds to give it a nutty texture. Great for parties when you really want to "wow" your guests!
Venezuelan Ham Bread [Vegan]
For the Ferment/Leavening Mixture:
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- 0.35-ounces of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
For the Bread:
- 4 cups of wheat flour
- A little less than 3/4 cup of warm water
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
For the Filling:
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1 piece of vegan ham
- 1/3 cup of green olives
- 1 can of roasted red peppers
For Brushing Over Bread:
- 3 tablespoons of aquafaba
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- A few drops of oil
- Sesame seeds to decorate
- Prepare the ferment or the leavening mixture. In a bowl, mix the ingredients well: the baking powder, 2 tablespoons of wheat flour, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar and 100 ml of warm water. Cover the bowl with clear film and let the mixture sit in a warm place until it doubles its size. On the surface it will foam.
- Prepare the dough. In a large bowl mix the flour with sugar, make a hole in the center and pour the ferment, stir a little. Add the oil, margarine and salt and stir a little more. Add the water little by little stirring until a homogeneous mass is formed.
- Flour the countertop and knead the dough a little for 2-3 minutes. Form a ball of dough and place it in a bowl with a little flour so that the dough does not stick. Cover the bowl with a piece of transparent film and let the dough rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Cut the vegan ham into slices, cut the olives into slices and chop the nuts. Put the raisins in warm water for 10-15 minutes and drain them well.
- When the time of rest passes, remove the dough from the refrigerator, place it on a floured surface and cut it into 2 or 3 equal pieces, depending on the amount of bread we want to make. I have separated it into 2 parts and I used the second part to prepare another bread with vegan sausage and cheese . We again form the balls of dough with the cut pieces, we pass them through the flour and cover with a cloth the pieces that we do not use at the moment.
- Stretch the dough with a rolling pin forming a large rectangle about half a centimeter thick. Paint the dough with butter, but leaving the edges (about 3/4 of an inch) uncovered so that the dough then sticks well when rolled.
- Place the stuffing on the dough (without touching the edges): slices of vegan ham, raisins, walnuts, olives and red peppers in strips
- Roll the dough very tightly so there is a little space between the layers. Paint the outer edge with water so that it sticks well. We close the roll ends by rounding them with your hands.
- Cover a baking tray with baking paper and place the bread on top. Pierce the dough with a fork, cover the roll with a kitchen towel and let it rest until the size increases.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mixture to shine the ham bread without using egg. Beat with the rods the aquafaba (chickpea water) until it forms foam, add 1 teaspoon of sugar and a stream of oil, beat a little more.
- After resting time, we wash the ham bread with the aquafaba mixture and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Preheat the oven to 356°F and bake the ham bread for 1 hour or more, check that it is well browned.
- Leave the ham bread cold and cut it into slices to serve.