These taquitos make a delicious lunch or dinner and they're packed with veggies!
Vegetable Taquitos [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Vegetable Taquitos [Vegan]
- 2 medium-large (400 g/14.1 oz) potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 medium-large onion, chopped
- 1 medium (140 g/4.9 oz) carrot, grated or finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4–1 teaspoon salt (or less/more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml/2.1 oz) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (180 g/6.3 oz) peas, frozen or canned
- 4.9 oz (140g) vegan cheese of choice
- 8–10 small/medium tortillas (see notes)
How to Prepare Vegetable Taquitos [Vegan]
- Peel and chop the potatoes and cook them in a pot of salted boiling water until fork-tender (about 12–15 minutes). Drain the water and mash the potatoes with a potato masher/ricer. Add a splash of plant-based milk for a creamier mash, then set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan/skillet over medium-high heat and add the chopped onion. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, then add the grated carrot, minced garlic, and all the spices, and sauté for a further minute.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and add the peas (frozen), put the lid on, and cook for a few minutes until the carrot is softened. If using canned peas, drain and rinse them and add in the next step (not now). Turn off the heat.
- Add the mashed potatoes and vegan cheese (store-bought grated vegan cheese, cream cheese, or vegan cheese sauce). Use a fork or a potato masher to combine everything.
- Taste the veggie mixture and adjust the seasonings accordingly. If you want it spicier, add more red pepper flakes to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 410°F (210°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place 2–3 tablespoons of the filling onto each tortilla and roll them up tightly. Place every tortilla seam-side down on the baking sheet, next to each other.
- Brush with a little vegetable oil (to make them crispier) and sprinkle with taco seasoning.
- Bake in the oven for 17–20 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy. For even crispier tops, broil them for a few minutes.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, vegan queso, or guacamole. Enjoy!
Optional: taco seasoning to sprinkle on top of taquitos
Tortillas: I use homemade gluten-free tortillas (from page of this book 52).
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze in a zip- top bag for up to 2 months.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.