For those of you that have not had the pleasure of immersing yourself inside a large bowl of paella at least once in your life, you are about to have your world turn upside down. Literally.
Vegetable Paella [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 2 cups veggie broth/water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- Half a dozen frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and quartered
- 1 and 1/2 cups frozen green peas
- 1 small zucchini, quartered
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large handfuls fresh green beans, cleaned
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt, or to taste
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Half a bunch parsley, finely chopped
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Combine the stock and saffron threads in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and maintain a simmer.
- Heat a pan with a tablespoon olive oil (or veggie broth) and sauté the onions until browned. Add in red bell pepper slices and continue to sauté until soft. Add mushrooms, garlic, green beans, green peas, artichoke hearts, and zucchini and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add rice, tomato halves, cayenne, and smoked paprika, stirring, for 1 minute until well-mixed. Add the veggie stock, and sea salt, along with the coconut milk and stir until just combined.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and bring to a simmer with the lid on for about half an hour. Do not stir!
- Once the rice is close to finishing or just finished, stir in the juice of the 2 lemons and turn off the heat.
- Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.