This vegetable and bean soup is a cure all. There’s protein from the beans and an entire bunch of kale slipped in to help boost your immune system. It’s like eating an overflowing perfectly ripe vegetable garden. As usual with a hearty soup like this don’t worry too much if you’re missing a vegetable, just substitute with what you have at hand. It’s hard to go wrong with any root vegetable:) and if you can’t stand kale use spinach or swiss chard. As with any soup or stew this just gets better with time (although it’s still great straight from the pot) giving the flavors a chance to really meld.
Vegetable and Bean Soup [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 sticks celery (chopped)
- 4 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1 medium fennel bulb (coarse outer edges remove, then chopped)
- 3-4 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley and oregano (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
- 3 cups crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch lacinato kale
- 4 cups good quality vegetable broth (preferably homemade)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In a large stockpot heat the olive oil. Add the chopped onions and cook over medium-low heat, until just turning golden brown, about 7-10 minutes. Sprinkle over a little sea salt to help prevent burning.
- Add the celery, carrots, fennel, garlic, pepper and red pepper flakes, cook for a further 5-6 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the beans, stir well to thoroughly combine. Add the tomatoes and kale, combine well then add the stock. Stir well, allow to come to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook the soup for a further 25 – 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and pour in 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, stir well.
- Serve with sourdough bread, plenty of olive oil and a few more fresh herbs sprinkled over the top of the soup.