This recipe makes around 75 little balls about 1cm across. It takes a few minutes to roll so many, so feel free to half the recipe. I like to do a big batch in one go and then store then in the freezer. Make sure you only use carob powder as cocoa is poisonous for dogs. The same goes for the suggested nut butters… nuts like macadamia and walnuts and some others are also not safe for dogs.
Vegan Pup Training Treats Even You Can Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup natural almond/peanut butter with no added sugar (don’t replace with other nut butters as some are not safe for dogs)
- 1/2 cup carob powder (don’t replace with cacao or cocoa)
- 1 ripe banana
- 6 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- 6 Tbsp desiccated coconut, plus extra for rolling
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 fresh dates, stones removed
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until combined. Alternatively if you don’t have a food processor, mash dates and banana in a large bowl, then mix in other ingredients by hand or with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Break off small chunks of the mix and roll up into little balls about 1cm across. Roll in coconut if you like.
- Store in the freezer in a ziplock bag or sealed container and use when needed, they will keep really well.
- We use them for training treats or stuffed inside Nomads Kong with mashed up banana and dog biscuits.