My Vegan Mozzarella Sticks are crispy on the outside and ooey-gooey cheesy on the inside. Serve them with a marinara dipping sauce. Just remember to uphold the MOST important appetizer law: make enough so everyone gets the same number of mozzarella sticks and avoid that awkward staredown of the last one on the plate!
Mozzarella Sticks [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mozzarella Sticks [Vegan]
- 5-ounce block vegan mozzarella
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup crushed rice cereal or bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon vegan grated Parmesan
- Safflower oil, for frying
How to Prepare Mozzarella Sticks [Vegan]
- Cut the block of vegan mozzarella into stick shapes.
- Put 1/4 cup of the flour in one shallow bowl. In a second bowl, create the batter by combining the remaining flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, salt, and garlic powder. The consistency should be like pancake batter. If it is too thick, add more water. If it’s too thin, add more flour. In a third shallow dish, combine the rice cereal, the spices, and the grated Parmesan to create the breading.
- Roll the cheese sticks in the flour. Shake off the excess and dip them into the batter. Shake off the excess batter and cover the sticks in the breading. Lay the mozzarella sticks on a baking sheet and put them in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Heat about 3 inches of oil in a large pot to 350°F. Fry the mozzarella sticks, about 4 at a time, for about 5 minutes until they are golden brown and you see the cheese starting to ooze out. Turn them halfway through to make sure both sides get browned. Place on a cooling rack so they stay crisp. Serve while hot with a simple marinara sauce.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Cheesy Recipes
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories (Before Frying): 980 | Total Carbs: 172 g | Total Fat: 21 g | Total Protein: 35 g | Total Sodium: 1,524 mg | Total Sugar: 15 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.