Kids love dip! And so do Moms and Dads… Serving a delicious dip is a great way to jazz up a veggie platter, making the veggies more exciting to eat. It also makes a great sandwich spread. We eat a lot of hummus and guacamole in our house, but sometimes a change of pace is much needed. The caramelized onions add a rich and delicious flavor to this plant-based French onion dip. The onions are sautéed slowly over low heat, maximizing their flavor. Get ready, the smell of slow cooked onions is going to take over your house and make it smell great!
French Onion Dip [Vegan]
- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large Vidalia Sweet Onion, finely chopped
- ¼ + 1/8 tsp. salt
- ¼ +1/8 tsp. white pepper
- 1 avacodo, ripe
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-low heat, no higher than 5. Add olive oil, chopped onion, ¼ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. white pepper.
- Saute onions, stirring occasionally until they take on a deep caramel color. Approximately 40 minutes.
- Allow onions to cool.
- If desired you can prepare the onions the day before. Scrap onions and all remaining oil from the pan into a bowl. Cover and refridgerate.
- Once the onions have cooled, add the onions and all remaining olive oil from the pan to a food processor or high powered blender. Add avacodo and a pinch (about 1/8 tsp.) of salt and white pepper. Pulse to a smooth consistency.
- Serve with chips, pita bread, or your favorite veggies. This dip also makes a fantastic sandwich spread.